Thursday, March 27, 2008

Tower Eiffel


They are planning to add an extension to the top of the tower. These photos are example of what it might look like. I don't know about you but I'm not sure I like it! I can't imagine what the French think about it this idea, they hate the tower.


It will happen sometime in 2009, and you can bet I'm making a day trip there to check it out for myself.

Here is the official scoop:

Serero Architects have won the open competition to redesign any of the Eiffel Tower’s public reception and access areas as a celebration of the 120th birthday of Gustave Eiffel’s original creation.
Serero’s project plans to extend the top floor plate of the tower by attaching a high performance carbon Kevlar structure on it that will expand the usable floor area from 280 m2 to 580m2. The extension aims to “increase the quality of the access of the public as well as experiencing the fantastic 360 degrees sight of Paris.”
The structure will be temporarily bolted without any modification of the existing structure.

No comments: