Monday, September 29, 2008

Gypsies

I have not blogged about our neighbors across the street till now. I do talk about them a lot to my friends and family on the phone or when I’m at home. Everyone always asks why I call him or her “the Gypsies”.  

It started 2 years ago when we moved in. We look directly into their house (the kitchen 1st floor – 2nd floor the bathroom – 3rd a bedroom) and vice versa they can see right into our house. The window covering they had in the bathroom was 4-inch stripe navy and white curtain with 6-inch bananas on them. This drove Joe absolutely nuts. So nuts he really didn’t want to live in the house when we were looking at it. Plus we never knew who lived there – different people were coming and going at all hours of the day. From what I could tell there was a guy and a girl that were always living there (College age).

So basically this is how they became known as “the Gypsies”

They moved out about 5 or 6 months ago…this is where you should really be careful for what you wish for. Joe was so excited but…a whole new set of crazy gypsies moved in. I have enough stories from the past couple months to write a book…I will just give you a couple highlights.  

They like to hang out their front kitchen window and sit on the window sill.

I really think they only have one key. This is why; sometimes they jump out the front window and leave it open while they run to the corner store then climb back in it.  

One day the gypsies were all sitting in front of our house in the street where Joe parks our car. We have a garage under our house so there are "no parking" signs on the garage meaning we always have a spot saved on the street for our car.  I tried to shoosh them away by looking at them from the window but that didn’t faze them. I then tried to call Joe on his cell to warn him about this crazy thing going on but he didn’t answer. So when Joe pulled up he tried to pull into the spot and they just sat there like they were in a protest. Then they pointed at the no parking sign to Joe and smiled…His response was “My House”. They just all laughed and scattered across the street.
A couple days after the above situation, one of them saw Joe come home and as he was getting out of the car, he opened his window and yelled “My House” at Joe.  They all enjoyed a good laugh.  

This past Friday night they had a huge party that went to the wee hours of the morning.  

Then the next day (Saturday) they had a picnic in front of our house I went out there with Joe's camera and said “Je voudrais prend la photo svp” basically I would like to take your photo – what were they going to say, no? they were sitting on my sidewalk. Then we had a brief conversation about what I take photos of and what I’m going to do with this one. Yes all in French, I was impressed with myself.  (Joe was gone this weekend or else he might have had a heart attack)

That is it…here is the photo, so now if I ever mention the gypsies again you will know who I am talking about. The guy in the blue shirt is the leader of the pack.  One more thing I should add, we really don't live in a bad area or close to the college-they are not our typical neighbors.

The Gypsies! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They must like the sunny side of the street. I'm surprised they let you take their picture. Mom